Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 1/2 lbs For the chicken: boneless skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or a mix
- 6 tbsps For the chicken: plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp For the chicken: grated ginger
- 3 tsps For the chicken: garlic, minced
- 1 tsp For the chicken: cumin
- 1 tsp For the chicken: paprika
- 1 1/4 tsps For the chicken: Salt
- 2 tbsps For the tikka masala sauce: canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups For the tikka masala sauce: Thinly sliced onion
- 1 tsp For the tikka masala sauce: garam masala
- 1 1/2 tbsps For the tikka masala sauce: minced garlic
- 1 tbsp For the tikka masala sauce: Ground coriander
- 2 tsps For the tikka masala sauce: paprika
- 1/2 tsp For the tikka masala sauce: turmeric
- 1/2 tsp For the tikka masala sauce: freshly ground black pepper
- 14 ozs For the tikka masala sauce: fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 tbsps For the tikka masala sauce: plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 tsp For the tikka masala sauce: cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp For the tikka masala sauce: salt
- 2 tbsps For the tikka masala sauce: chopped cilantro for garnish
1 Prepare the chicken: Trim chicken thighs of any extra fat. Chop into bite-sized pieces about 1/2 to 1-inch wide. Place the chicken thigh pieces to a medium bowl.
Add the yogurt, ginger, garlic, cumin, paprika and salt. Using your hands, combine the chicken with the spices until the chicken is evenly coated.
2 Marinate the chicken: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 45 minutes or as long as overnight. (Marinating for 4 to 6 hours is perfect.)
3 Cook the chicken: In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thigh pieces and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes, until they’re cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4 Toast the spices: Wipe down the pan you used to cook the chicken. Heat remaining canola oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, until softened, stirring often.
Add the grated ginger, minced garlic, coriander, paprika, garam masala, turmeric, black pepper, salt, and cayenne. Let the spices cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to a minute.
5 Make the sauce: Add the crushed tomatoes to the pan with the spices and let everything cook for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the yogurt and stir to combine.
6 Simmer the sauce: Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the sauce simmer for another 4 minutes. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and coat with sauce.
7 Serve: Serve over cooked basmati rice and garnish with cilantro.